July 14, 2009

Where's the party?


Mr. Gadget and I arrived safely at the Calcondo on Sunday and found things quiet inside. But last night all Hell broke loose as the ants began arriving--some in party hats and all in colorful costumes. Somehow they had heard that today is my birthday and they were ready to party.

There was profound disappointment among their lot when I informed them there would be no party. In fact, they've dug in their heels and are refusing to leave. So Mr. G and I have taken drastic measures. We went to our neighborhood hardware store to purchase heavy weapons. None of that sissy tear gas stuff either. Tonight, under cover of darkness, and long after the curmudgeons have turned in, we will sprinkle some potent stuff (that's what you do with heavy artillery isn't it? sprinkle?) around the perimeter. There'll be no partying nonsense here.

It's been a quiet birthday so far with a sprinkling of greetings. Big City Girl called to wish me a happy day, and to apologize that my card would be late because it was returned to her with no postage affixed. Tech Guy emailed a youtube video greeting. Somehow he must have mounted his digital camera on his visor, because he wished me happy birthday while driving.....much too fast, in the fast lane, passing big trucks enroute to Dallas. I also received a nice ecard from a high school friend, and a cheery phone call from my cousin. Mr. Gadget gave me a cute card with a clever greeting. Something about me not looking another year older, with a handwritten note saying, "How do you do it?" I'm sure he's hoping I won't heat up the leftovers.

So this morning Mr. G asked me what I'd really like to do for my birthday and I told him I'd really like to take a ride over to the local farmers market. I had a hankerin' for some fresh produce.....

....especially some cactus. While we were walking around, I noticed a clever little gadget I hadn't seen before.

It's a fold-up cart for carrying grocery bags. There's a hook for your bag of tomatoes, a hook for your nectarines and plums, and plenty left over if you decide you need some corn, cabbage or cactus. I'm just supposing that if someone were going to have a birthday party, someone could carry lots of presents home with one of these....

3 comments:

Marcia said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I should have remembered, especially given your email address, but we were in the car all day and I haven't been near internet since Saturday! I know. Horrors! Hope it was a good one...what's the cactus for?

Kathy W said...

Hey, I'm not too late....Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday, dear Marcia, Marcia, Marcia! Happy Birthday to you! And many more........and welcome to the left coast. The cactus is to eat. (note to the other Marcia).

Jen said...

Happy Birthday! I'm late. Sorry!

That grocery bag cart looks suspiciously like a golf bag pull cart. Hmmm....