July 11, 2009

Nostalgia

No, we're not on the left coast yet. Tomorrow's the day. I do enjoy that expression left coast though. Kinda like Cali. Those are mostly right-coasty expressions. Not something you're likely to hear from the natives.
I've been packing my suitcase.....well, maybe just mentally packing. It's still early. I've been gathering my sewing and craft supplies, and later I'll think about clothes. I have my priorities.
Mr. Gadget and I made one last visit to the old house earlier today to partake in a little nostalgia.

We're hopeful by the time we return in late August it will belong to someone else.

This has all happened very quickly and we can't quite believe our good fortune. Sometimes we wonder what sold the place. Was it the location on a cul-de-sac? Was it the nice long driveway with the graveled parking area? Maybe the gazebo or the finished basement?
I like to think it was Toad's House....the old conch shell I decorated and strategically placed in the planter box next to the front door in hopes of attracting just the right buyer.....and the toad I evicted during the shell renovating.
So putting my nostalgic feelings aside for the moment..... earlier today Tech Guy sent me a text message from southern Virginia on the first leg of his around-the-U.S. whirlwind tour. He's decided to spend his 3 weeks of vacation seeing the country. When we expressed concern about this being a solo venture, he assured us that he wouldn't be alone because he was taking his tortoise.
Being the good mom I like to think I am, I worry. His car has seen lots of miles. He never gets enough sleep. Will he stop to rest now and then? It's expensive. But he rarely listens to reason. Especially mine. So I'm trying my best not to worry too much, and to remember that when I was his age I probably considered such an adventure, but stayed home instead where things were safe, and to save my parents sleepless nights. So I say, "Motor on Tech Guy and have a grand time!" Your mother will get over it.

1 comment:

Kathy W said...

Hope TG has a good time on his vacation! Such an adventure. He does have a cellphone and all,right? And hope your trip west to "right" coast is without event and enjoyable. How many years in the now sold house? Doubt we'll ever be able to sell our house even if we wanted to do that. Too much wear and tear to fix up and Mr. H. and I are too pooped out. So here we'll sit.