July 01, 2009

The late, great Sparkle

Sparkle was our family cat. She passed away several years ago, at the ripe old age of 15, after living most of her life with only 3 legs--the result of a tragic mishap. We never knew what happened. She left home one day and returned, hobbling, several days later.
The vet told us the leg (her front right) would likely need amputating, but to give it a week or two and he would reassess. Fortunately for Sparkle, and for us too, the leg began to atrophy and eventually ended up next to her chest--thereby eliminating the need for amputation. She adapted nicely and continued catching mice and birds (bad kitty!) and climbing the occasional tree.

I was reminded of Sparkle and all of her antics recently when I read a book by a couple who are the ultimate spoiled-cat enablers.
Now I feel much better about my own enabling.

Sparkle didn't like the snow very much, and she wouldn't go outside unless I shoveled a path for her on the deck. Mr. Gadget used to clear a circular path around the house with his snow thrower, always insisting it was for the humans.

Sparkle was very fond of deli turkey. I made the mistake of giving her a small sampling one day, and from then on I had to repeatedly throw her off the table at lunch time. As she approached her golden years and her hearing started to go, she would sneak up behind me in the kitchen and emit a blood-curdling yowl. A little bit of turkey quieted her right down....and all-but-guaranteed a future yowl.

Then there were the early-morning wake-up calls. When she awoke at the crack of dawn and wanted her breakfast, she would come into the bedroom and lick the door moldings. Do you have any idea how loud a sandpaper tongue on door moldings can be in a quiet house? It was enough to get me up to open a can of cat food. And all-but-guarantee a future licking episode.

When arthritis started taking a toll and she couldn't jump up on the furniture with her usual ease, I took pity on her. Each evening I would put a chair next to our bed, and next to that a small plastic storage box. This gave her a couple of manageable steps and allowed her to share our electric blanket.

I miss Sparkle and all of her quirks. I miss watching her roll over and put her belly up against the kerosene heater. I miss watching her straddle the toilet bowl while she got a drink, and wondering if this time she would fall in. I'd love to have another cat one day....maybe when our traveling days are over. One thing's for sure though. I've learned what spoiling does to a cat, and I'd never do that again.....

4 comments:

Jen said...

"I've learned what spoiling does to a cat, and I'd never do that again....." Ha ha, Yeah right! I'd like to see that one. Sparkle sounds like she was a nice cat. I bet Henry would have liked to have known her. I'm sure she deserved to be spoiled.

Marcia said...

I've trained mine to tell time.....at precisely noon, every day, the yowling starts. Oh, wait. That's Terry. But if you ever get another cat, I've got two sitters for you so you don't have to give up your travels! Nice day yesterday.....Terry got one of your cookies and said thanks. We shall not discuss the others...

Kathy W said...

That was a really nice essay about Sparkle. Enjoyed reading it. No cats for us except Max, my one and only cat when I was single. And Max acted like a dog. Which endeared him to me.

Maddie Can Fly said...

Sparkle had such beautiful markings. I have always had a cat and yes, they have all been extremely spoiled.