July 06, 2009

Enduring friendship

Mr. Gadget has a couple of old friends he's known since before we met.
For the most part they've been dependable and true although, on occasion, he's referred to them as fair-weather friends. They've helped him wash his car and vacuum water out of the basement. They've protected him from cold morning floors and rescued him from burning beach sand. But lately the friendship had begun showing signs of wear and tear.

It was starting to fray around the edges. In fact, there was an incident recently that almost broke them apart for good. Mr. Gadget was beside himself. I've never seen him cry, but his eyes were welling up. He came to me and asked if I wouldn't mind interceding on his behalf before the friendship was beyond repair. He knows I have mending ways. He knows I've often been called a piecemaker.I told him I would do my best, but would make no promises. I called the two of them into the treehouse and instructed Mr. G. to leave the house..... maybe take a short trip to Home Depot or the gadget store.
I sat them down and talked to them rather sternly. I told them Mr. Gadget had always treasured their friendship, and that he looked forward to having them in his life until his dying day. Could they just sit calmly, I asked, while I did a little repair work? I assured them I had the tools and the know-how. They must have realized how serious this matter was because they agreed to sit quietly while I did my work.
In no time at all, I had things patched up. It's refreshing to know there are still a few good ol' soles in the world.

No comments: