March 30, 2007

Bunny in a bowl

Here is a bunny I made for BCG one Easter when she was living in the college dorm. She thought it was really cute and thanked me lots. However, when it came home from college with her a couple years later I was sad to discover it had gathered lots of dust. I'll stop short of saying it was a dustmop. More likely it was a dust rag. Bunny is fine now though. He just needs to sit outside in the sun and fresh air now and then...which is what he is doing today.

The bowl he's sitting in is one I crocheted. My original intent was to crochet a hat for Tech Guy. He said he was happy with it, and it seemed to fit him well, but he ended up using it as a bowl. I have no idea what sorts of things he kept in it, but I'm sure a good airing out can't hurt it either. I didn't have a pattern for it. I just crocheted a circle, and then decreased a few stitches all around to get the sides to turn up, then continued on till it looked right. If I do another one I'll use a bulkier yarn. The sides on this one are floppy. It might be a good candidate for felting. I suppose I'll have to get Tech Guy's permission.

So Mr. G and I are looking forward to a big event tomorrow. Our town has scheduled a day on which residents can take old furniture, free of charge, to the dump. We've been pondering for months what to do with Mr. G's old recliner, so this is like a dream come true. This is definitely a trip Mr. G could do by himself, but I'm sure he'll want me along for company. So I'll make myself useful by opening the car door for him and making sure he doesn't bump his head while hauling the chair out. I'll remember to take an assortment of bandaids. I might also have to tell a few good jokes to keep him entertained if there's a line. And I will, of course, take my camera because there is sure to be some good blog fodder at an occasion like this. There might even be some folks who are going with the intention of picking things up.

As for knitting news, I've come to a halt on the elderberry sweater. Per the instructions, I've done a row of single crochet around the neck and I'm not sure I like it. Now I'm pondering whether to rip it out and do it over, or just do two rows and see if I like that better. For now I'm just following my usual procedure for dealing with things that I find challenging: walk away for a few days and hope that when I go back my fairy godmother will have made it all better......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the bunny! As for the sweater edging, look up "shrimp stitch" or reverse crochet. That makes a nicer edging than single crochet alone. Unfortunately, I've never figured out how to do it, myself!