March 28, 2007

The traveling afghan


I've noticed lots of granny square afghans on my trips around blogdom lately, so I thought I'd share mine. Actually, I've made several--all of which were completed long before this current wave of granny square mania. The great thing about granny squares is they are small and make a great portable project. But, yes, the day does eventually come when you have to sew them all together......that is, if you want an afghan and not just a pile of granny squares.

This particular afghan is one I made for Mr. Gadget's Aunt Jessie. She was always his favorite, and he has fond memories of many childhood outings with her. His parents weren't ones for taking kids around and about, but Aunt J had no children and loved nothing more. So the afghan was a little "thank you," many years belated, that I did on Mr. G's behalf.

Aunt Jessie was always very frugal, however, and never used the good dishes or the special towels.....or the handcrafted afghan it seems. Somewhere along the line, she gave it to her sister, my mother-in-law, for safekeeping, and it came back to me after she passed away. I kind of hate to admit where it traveled next, but it ended up riding around the northeast in the trunk of BCG's car. This was because we insisted that she have some means of keeping warm if, heaven forbid, the car broke down in Massachusetts in the middle of January. I'm sure she was in a hurry to go out the door one evening, and the Aunt J afghan was within easy grabbing distance.

Then after BCG moved to the big city and didn't need the car, Tech Guy started driving it, and the afghan continued to travel--to God only knows where. But it did make its way back home a few weeks ago when TG got his new VW bunny and we sold the car. I must say it has stayed in remarkably good condition for all it's been through, and a gentle washing did away with the aroma of trunk.

Now I'm thinking maybe we should give it back to Aunt Jessie. She's about 95 now and not quite as sharp as she used to be, and she doesn't see very well either. I could lay it across her lap in her wheelchair and when she asks me what it is, I'll just say, "Oh, this old thing? Just an old blanket I found in the attic."

So I meant to mention this in my last post, but there were too many other things. Big City Girl gave her dad.....that would be Mr. Gadget......a new baseball cap for his birthday. It's a subway cap, featuring the train she occasionally rides in Brooklyn.
Just a coincidence, I suppose, that it's the "G" train......



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet Aunt J is the aunt whose birthday party you went to in maybe 1987 or 88 when we lived in the east and were going to stop in to see you in your town on our way to Mr. H's family's home. So cool. Love the granny squares and like the VW Rabbit, they are back, too! Everything in cycles...Mr. G's hat looks very "fitting" heehee...Cannot believe that very pretty BCG is that "old"!

Anonymous said...

I love the colors of this blanket! It reminds me of summer days and watermelons!