March 08, 2007

Random stuff




When I returned to the treehouse last weekend, I noticed this cute picture I had framed of Tech Guy and his grandpa. It was taken many years ago; Tech Guy just turned 25. Can you see the family resemblance? They were both pretty bright-eyed I would say. I'm not sure about the bushy tails.....

So today it's cold and windy here in Connecticut, and we're having the weather we should have had in early January. It's pretty much the weather we always like to miss with our treks out west. I've been doing errands, one of which was to the car dealership to find out why a light is blinking on my dashboard. It just started after we returned, so maybe the car didn't like being in the garage all that time. I sat at the dealership for an hour while they tried to diagnose the problem, and then came home after they told me the blinking light was perfectly normal. I should have taken my knitting. I did, however, strike up a conversation with another knitter who was also waiting for her car. I noticed she was paying close attention to her pattern, so I didn't say anything for a while. She was working on a beautiful beaded shawl and she spent a few minutes showing me how she attached the beads. I am always amazed at how there are never strangers when knitters are among their own kind.

In my last post I mentioned how much I'm looking forward to the return of the hummingbirds. Today I noticed some bird action in the backyard and went to retrieve my binoculars, only to find it was these big fellas. I know nature lovers really believe there is beauty in all of God's creatures, but I'm just thinking maybe God was taking a coffee break or was otherwise distracted for a few minutes.

So I have the manly sweater halfway assembled, but I had to do a little more blocking on the last sleeve. I don't know what happened really. The finished sleeve has almost a permanent fold in the fabric at one point. I'm thinking this is where I had to do some frogging and for some reason my tension was off. I refuse to frog it further, so I will finish putting it together and I'm sure Mr. G. will be very impressed in spite of it. I'm anxious to get back to the elderberry project, and will be very happy that it will require no seaming.

And just one more thing, here is a very special drawing Big City Girl sent me the other day. She loves to draw and spends some of her slow times at work doodling at her desk.


I'd love to stitch this piece. In fact, I've been prodding BCG for some time to design some embroidery projects for me. I think I'm going to have to hijack her sketchbook one of these days. I've caught glimpses of it on occasion and I know there's a wealth of stitching ideas in there. Maybe I'll offer to buy her lunch down there in the big city one of these days and make her promise to bring it. When it gets warmer, of course.......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darling picture! There is something about a little boy with his Gramp! As for the weather..hang on, the weekend will be better!

Anonymous said...

Way cool, way cute!