March 20, 2007

Big City Birthday

Today is Big City Girl's 23rd birthday. My, my, where does the time go? It seems like only yesterday she was a little girl getting ready to go off to school for "picture day," and her mom, obviously not sufficiently caffeinated, grabbed the kitchen scissors to give her a little bang trim.
That was well before the purple hair phase and the skinny beaded braid phase, and the phase of wearing funny hats so that very little hair was visible at all. I really tried hard not to comment very much, as I pined away for the days of the lovely hair she was born with, uneven bangs and all. Older, more experienced moms warned me that kids go through stages, and if I was patient and kept my mouth shut, the original version would return. I tried and it has.

The birthday placemat is one I made back when I was going through my machine-applique phase. The fabric letters were all made from my scrap pile. I did make BCG a cute little dress out of the "B" fabric, and a blouse for her and her doll out of the alphabet-print "A." I think the blue "A" and "Y" were kitchen curtains. I did a lot of machine-applique a few years ago, but I finally got appliqued out. Well, I'm not sure if it was that, or if I just got weary from the frequent trips out to buy more thread. I had no clue about the thread requirements.

Just for the record, I've abandoned my red doll hat experiment. Sometimes the old way of doing things ends up being the best. A gathered circle of felt works well for the top, and the place where I join it to the brim is covered with tulle trim anyway, so any little uneven stitches don't show. I can make one fairly quickly, and without getting my hands dirty.

I'm hoping to get a Red Hat Lady done this week so I can put her up on eBay. I haven't sold anything on eBay for a while, and it's always fun to watch the auction.....you know how I like to track things. I haven't thought of a name yet, but I'm sure one will pop up, maybe as I'm making up her face. At the moment I have cocktail glasses full of doll feet in the kitchen. Just business as usual.
Mr. Gadget is recuperating slowly from his deck mishap. He has gone out to lunch with a friend, and is no doubt having a glass of wine to help deal with the discomfort. I'm feeling a little badly now about having had a chuckle or two over his tendency toward deck accidents. It seems I've suddenly developed a pain of my own, and for no apparent reason. My right leg is sore, making it painful to get up and down out of a chair, and walk up and down stairs. I can only hope that these are not signs of early-onset curmudgeonism. Please let me know if you ever notice any signs here of special rules and regulations for blog readers.....

No comments: