March 23, 2007

Progress happens



Here is Luella. She told me her name as I was applying her lipstick. She isn't quite finished yet; she still needs feathers in her hat and some shoe decorations. This time I lined the hat with a red print fabric....much more interesting than just boring old felt. What with two birthday celebrations coming up (BCG's in the big city on Sunday, and Mr. G's on Monday here at home) I've decided to postpone listing her on eBay till next week. That should still allow sufficient time for eager buyers to clamor for her as an Easter gift for a dear red hat mom.

I also finished up the knitting on the elderberry sweater for moi. I am happy that this one will require no seaming, since the body was knitted in the round, and the sleeves were picked up and also knitted that way. There are ends to weave in however, and I'll need to do a row of single crochet around the neck. Good thing I know my way around a crochet hook! Then it needs a little washing (per instructions from The Green Mountain Spinnery whose pattern and yarn I used.) I should be able to wear it for maybe a week tops. This would be the time between the disappearance of the snow and the day we install the air conditioners.....also known as New England spring.

The other day I mentioned a couple of weird things about me, and one of those was my interest in tracking things. Then I realized that Mr. G. has one of those weird things too, only his has to do with making tracks. Many years ago, right after he bought a snowthrower, he got into a habit of clearing a track all the way around the house. Although he never fessed up to this, I think it was for the benefit of our cat.

Sparkle was not a cat to go out and get her paws snowy, or her furry butt for that matter, so she quickly learned to sit patiently by the door until the way was clear, and then she would bound out. The track became quite a popular winter attraction in our neighborhood. Once we looked out and noticed a big black standard poodle doing multiple laps at a full gallop. Another time a small family of deer used it as a rest stop. They were probably worn out from all that munching they did on our azalea bushes.

So now that I'm almost between knitting projects, I'm giving thought to what I might want to start next. I do have a sock to finish.....I'm afraid I succumbed to second sock syndrome. I'm thinking it might be fun to try one of those pretty felted handbags. I've got the knitting needles. I've got the washing machine. Ooops.....I don't have the appropriate yarn. Hmmmmm.....guess I'll just have to go shopping.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had an elementary school principal named Luella Woo. Perhaps this could be Luella Woowoo. Ha. A deceased neighbor was named Leotha...possible contender for the next red hat lady's name? Hope you sell Luella quickly. She's cute and deserves a good home.