July 26, 2013

What's a mother to do?

Have you ever purchased a sweet, luscious nectarine from your local farmers' market, and after having eaten half of it you noticed a little worm dancing around the pit?  Just wondering...

I have a question about figs too.  Do fig trees produce fruit randomly?  Like for instance, would there be one big juicy fig ready to pick while all the other figs on the tree are tiny and barely making themselves known?

Dear ol' dad planted a fig tree just outside of the back door many years ago.  He was a big fan of figs.  In fact, I loved taking him fresh figs in the nursing home.....until one day he told me he had had quite enough.

When we arrived at the Calcondo last summer, and this summer too, there was one big yummy-looking purple fig just asking to be picked.  All the others were weeks from ripening.  Is this normal fig behavior, or is it possible dear ol' dad is popping in to say hey?

And isn't it interesting how the universe puts something in your path when it thinks you need a new challenge?

Today, while I was eating lunch, I looked out the sliding glass door and noticed this rose bush--that hadn't been there this morning.  Just yesterday afternoon I was out in this dirt flower bed pulling weeds and picking up debris, and the universe must have noticed and figured I was ready for a new job: adoptive mother of a rose bush.

The thing is, I have no idea how to take care of a rose bush.  Can I feed it every once in a while and water it when I'm in town?  That's not very good parenting.  They send parents to jail for behavior like that.  Maybe I'll check and see if Dr. Spock wrote a book....

1 comment:

Kathy W said...

Cut the rose bush way back and let it grow back out. I have been experimenting with rose bushes since a tenant had 8 of them planted in front of the house in RB! And now I'm down to one left. LOL Those thorns are not my style.