July 17, 2013

Fun on four wheels

Today, as I was pulling in to the grocery store parking lot, I noticed something....and was immediately transported back to my southern California single days of carefree living and beach-bar hopping.
I had one of these--a VW Karmann Ghia.  Mine was bright red.  I drove it for 12 years, up until Mr. Gadget and I got married, moved to Texas, and had Tech Guy.  It didn't have air conditioning, and for that reason alone it wasn't the right car for Texas.  Also, it wasn't exactly car-seat friendly.  So I reluctantly sold it--to dear ol' dad's cousin, who drove from his home in California to Texas with a trailer hitch and towed it back to where it still resides--about 2 miles from the Calcondo in his garage. It could use a little TLC. The shine is long gone and its engine has expired.  It makes me sad just thinking about it.

I've never had a close relationship with a car since then. They've come and gone like bad dates. But I had a special feeling for my KG.  I treated it well--with regular oil changes and frequent washings--and I always parked it in the garage. It never let me down. Best of all, it was easy to operate.  No fancy GPS system, no Bluetooth hook-ups, no keyless entry, no sirens going off like now when I accidently hit the little red button on the remote.  There was no remote.  A key got me in, a key started the engine, and the radio--the only option--had an on-off knob that also controlled the volume.

All of this harking back is making me tear-up.  Maybe I'll call dear-ol'-dad's cousin and see if his garage has visiting hours.

No comments: