July 30, 2013

Time traveler

I've had a bad case of jet lag.
Traveling back in time takes a toll.
It was exhausting...all those times
I had to repeat myself
when someone said, "Huh?"
And all the listening I had to do
when it was me saying, "Huh?"
Most people had changed quite a bit in 50 years.
But a few had changed hardly at all.
Many classmates were unable to attend.
Others, sadly, had passed on.
There were lots of stories,
and a few tales of our teachers:
the typing teacher who was
like a drill sergeant and
the tall, willowy French teacher who was
the subject of boys' fantasies.
There were a few pot bellies
and a scattering of bald heads.
Gray hair had replaced blonde and brunette.
There was even a wrinkle or two.
We'd spread out all over the country
and followed different paths in life.
But there was one thing we still had in common:
we hadn't forgotten how to party.
At 10:30 we shut the place down...  

1 comment:

Kathy W said...

Glad you partied good. Gives me hope. LOL