December 02, 2009

Cheekiness

It's been a busy week with offspring visits, turkey and trimmings, and lingering hand-wringing. But I did find an alternative to the latter....thanks to a trip with other Marcia (currently plagued by blogus-interruptus) to Yarn Heaven, and a new clay project.

I had planned to make another snowman, but as I started working on his head I quickly realized he would be a Santa instead. A whimsical Santa.

A whimsical cheeky Santa. Sometimes the clay just does its thing and the sculptress must follow along.

Big City Girl commented on the table covering--a doll quilt I made for her long ago. She told me it was the perfect design for some sort of board game she used to play for long hours on her bed. I'm fairly sure it saw more gaming service than doll play.

Tech Guy and Big City Girl were here for two nights over the holiday--a real bonus. They are both afflicted with revolving-door syndrome. The night before they arrived, Mr. Gadget and I put together a list of questions and titled them Thanksgiving Trivia 2009 to test their knowledge of early family history. They enjoy this sort of thing and I like to think that family traditions are one way of enticing the young-uns to return home and stay a while. Cheesecake works too.

So now I'm decorating the house for Christmas. I can't believe how many ornaments we've amassed over the years. Kinda reminds me of dear ol' dad and his stash of plastic grocery bags tucked into every available nook and cranny of his condo. And my grandma Ferna with her big ball of string and collection of rubber bands on the kitchen doorknob. This may be a genetic disorder. I find it almost impossible to throw any of them out. Most have some sort of special meaning--like the polka-dotted mushroom, the surfing Santa, and the Cracker Jack prize. I see only one solution to this dilemma. I'll just have to buy another tree.


5 comments:

Marcia said...

Cheeky.....snort!

Kathy W said...

heeheeheehee!

Kathy W said...

heehee!

Jen said...

I Looooooove that Santa and his cheeks!

Nancy Anne said...

As always, you make me chuckle. Sometimes I might even guffaw. And those cheeks...well, they were worth a belly laugh! You brighten my day, Marcia - thanks!