October 16, 2008

Stitching some sanity

The space where the piano used to sit is now pretty much filled in with cardboard boxes. And even though the cleaning, sorting and tossing has begun in earnest, I have managed to squeeze in some knitting time.
Here's the Noro scarf in progress. See that perfectly straight line between red and blue? The yarn was broken....which totally destroyed the nice blending effect. Disappointing....
So I've never been very good at multi-tasking. The rest of my family has skills in this area, but not me. I'm like dear ol' dad. Don't clutter-up my brain. Just give me one task at a time and I'll complete it in fine shape. At least I've finally stopped beating myself up for it. After all, it's genetic. A little knitting time helps me sort things out. Otherwise, I start to do silly things. Just last night I put the salad on the dinner table, and not one minute later snatched it back up and put it over with the dirty dishes.....leaving Mr. G. with his mouth agape.
Here's a sock I'm knitting with some hand-dyed yarn that other Marcia gifted me.
And if the salad incident wasn't enough, my neighbor gave me her house key so I could feed her kitties for a couple of days while she was out of town. Right away I put it in a secure place.....my purse.... with the idea that I would stop in when I got home from visiting a craft fair. But when I returned, the key was gone. I figured maybe I pulled it out of my purse with my camera at the fair. So back I went to explain my dilemma and leave my name and phone number with the organizer. (Someone called. Lucky me!)

Here are some crocheted granny squares I'm assembling into a small afghan.
Then there were two grocery-store trips because I purchased the wrong toothbrushes for Mr. G. He likes an upstairs and a downstairs toothbrush and they must be medium or firm. I got soft. I should get credit, though, for catching myself the other day before I took all the dirty dishes out of the dishwasher.
See that box for the double-clean stove? Yesterday Mr. Gadget friendlied up with dumpster neighbor and now our old kerosene heater is in his dumpster. Nice-guy neighbor refused Mr. G's offer of cash for his neighborliness, so I've offered to bake cookies. If I can find my cookie sheets.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice one catching yourself before putting dirty dishes away! That's something I've caught myself doing too many times and then which dish glass was used and which was the unused one? Not a good situation to be in (hee hee hee). I identify with your mental fobbles and I don't think they are entirely genetic. We were taught to "concentrate" on the one task we were assigned in our youth.....and we are both from the same era and area and nearly the same age.