June 27, 2008

Once upon a gadfly

But first, some sock progress. I've decided to call it an art sock. I've just turned the heel....you can see it there in the pink. It's not much fun to knit with this yarn using #1 needles, but maybe the finished pair will be pleasing enough to make up for my sore and bloodied fingers.
Yesterday Mr. Gadget happened to remark that all of the buzzing and flitting around I've been doing over the last few days, in an effort to ferret out long lost high school classmates and alert them to the upcoming reunion, might qualify me as a gadfly. So off I went to look for a dictionary.
I found one--a 1933 edition with my grandfather's name embossed on the front--under a pile of stuff in the back closet. Sure enough, gadfly was in there.....so I guess they've been around for at least that long.
I think Mr. G and I have been spending too much time together.
Interesting definition for gadget there too....Maybe we could be known as Gadget and the Gadfly....heh..heh.
Then I checked the online dictionary and it wasn't much better: A person who persistently annoys or provokes others with criticism, schemes, ideas, demands, requests, etc. Maybe we should consider separate vacations....
I did scroll down the page a ways and found an older, but slightly more pleasing definition: Someone who likes to go about, often stopping here and there. Thank goodness. Our marriage will survive.
Moving on to gardening, you'll notice my little potted flower is really starting to bloom.
My weight-loss project is moving along nicely and I've even been exercising. Mr. Gadget is very impressed. I'd been all talk and no action for months. Sometimes we talk about our different approaches to life and he tells me that in the corporate world he would be an employee with a bias toward action and I would be one who sends up trial balloons. In the world of semi-retirement, this translates to Mr. G paying bills the day they arrive, and me spending months, or even years, contemplating choices for window treatments.
I think my style is similar to that of our friendly chipmunk visitor. He circles the outer perimeter of our deck several times before he zeros in on the cup o' nuts.So now Mr. G, ever the wordsmith, refers to my style as chipmunking.
By the way, I know some will be curious about the outcome of BCG's day in court during which she and ex-BCBF will be defending themselves against the evil shopkeeper (aka the tormenting gadfly). I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,cuz. Just wanted to let you know your latest blog entry had me chuckling to myself for quite a few happy minutes this morning. . . just the thing to pick me up during an avalanche of work today. Thank you! MM

Evelyn said...

Your sock looks just as lovely in person as it does online! Wear them with sandals and flaunt the colors! :-)

Evelyn