December 28, 2007

Over the pot holes and through the toll booths....

......to Big City Girl's house we go. Mr. Gadget and I will be setting out tomorrow morning for BCG's place in NYC to deliver a couple of Christmas gifts that were too big for her and BCBF to schlep on the train. Our main objective is to deliver this, safely and in one piece:
It's the unusually-shaped table for the unusually-shaped space in BCG's apartment, handcrafted by Mr. G himself. He's quite proud of it, and has wrapped it up in lots of towels and bed pillows so it'll be well-protected from any pot holes we may encounter, as well as those unexpected quick stops to avoid the antics of crazy taxi drivers.

I'm not a fan of car trips into the city. In fact, I begin to get anxious the day before. I'm starting to feel a little queasy right now as I type. Mr. G, although he's never had an accident, approaches city driving like a gladiator preparing for battle. And he drives just a tad too fast for my comfort level. You may be wondering why I just don't stay home. There's a good reason. It will be my job to guard his priceless handiwork, along with a toaster oven and a dish of Snicker's brownies, wherever it ends up sitting on the sidewalk while he goes to look for a place to park.
I've tried to come up with ideas on how to more effectively cope with this driving into the city issue.
I could wear my sleep mask. After all, it did block out several hours of what could have been a never-ending 12-hour flight to China.Or maybe I could just put this Trader Joe's bag over my head.

Or maybe this would be a good time to attack Yarn Mountain, the stash collecting dust on the book shelves here in the treehouse. Starting a crocheted ripple afghan might be a good diversion. Of course, the best solution would be to crochet while wearing the sleep mask, but I don't think that's going to happen.
I'm sure Mr. G would be willing to stop off at Starbucks on the way, so I can get myself one of those sweet, gooey coffee thingies. I imagine I'll have to BMOB though (bring my own brandy)........

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You,two, always good for a laugh! That's a real nice custom kitchen counter! Maybe a new business in the offing?

Unknown said...

iPod and knitting definitely work for me......

Anonymous said...

You're a perfect candidate for the Dreamhelmet, for long trips to China or just a nap on the sofa.

Maddie Can Fly said...

The bag on your head is too funny. My mother used to threaten to do that with my driving -- would always ask me "where's my bag?" before we set off anywhere.