April 18, 2007

Any guesses?



Any guesses as to what kind of character I'm going to make next? This footwear is actually a nice bright sparkly purple, but not to worry. It won't be making an appearance on eBay. Here's another hint:

Yep, I'm sure the eyes gave it away. I've been asked to make a couple of witches for a special sale to take place at the senior shop where I occasionally sell stuff. Why yes, it is too early to be thinking about Halloween, but there are a few folks who like to stock up before the rush. Do you see the green hair? I think she's going to be a real babe.

Once in a while I make other kinds of dolls. Here's a Raggedy Ann I made a while back. She's been sitting around for a long time waiting for just the right ensemble.
You can also see that my dollmaking skills are far from perfect. Everything that gets covered with clothing can be slapped together any old way. Big uneven stitches are fine for attaching the arms to the body since they won't show on the finished doll. And a body that's a little lopsided can be easily hidden with just the right outfit. I've mostly found that works fairly well for me too.
Ladybug Lorraine didn't sell on eBay, but she has found a good home in spite of it. During the week she was up for bidding, I exchanged a few emails with a friend of mine in California. She has a granddaughter for whom she loves to buy things, and it seems that she's been doing some birthday gift shopping. She mentioned that she had found a cute rolling suitcase and matching backpack with ladybugs on them, since the little girl (soon to be 4) is a big ladybug fan. Well. I told her about the ladybug doll and she immediately wrote back to say that, if Lorraine didn't sell, she would buy her. So Lorraine is going west with me when I make my next trip out in late May. I like to think it was meant to be.
So now I must get ready for my big spooky weekend in Plymouth. That means I will pack a few things in a small bag, gather some reading material, make sure my camera batteries are all charged up, and prepare some food for the boys at home. I'm really gonna miss them........




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a spooky time! Up for a trip to WEBS any time soon? They are having a saaaaallllle..........