April 15, 2007

Accidental gardener



I'm not what you'd call a gardener. But sometimes flowers grow in spite of me. Yesterday I noticed this small dot of purple in the middle of the backyard. I do believe it's a crocus, but I have no idea how it got there. It wasn't my doing. The only flowers I've had any success with are this variety:

I will mention that I'm listening to a very nice CD as I type called "Acoustic Garden." Maybe it will inspire me to plant something....or better yet, embroider something. No gardening gloves or fertilizer required.

It's just a real nasty day in the northeast, with rain and wind and all sorts of goodness. And even though it's Spring, some folks are saying, "Thank goodness it's not snow or we'd be having a blizzard." According to the newspaper, just such a thing happened 25 years ago on this date.


So my neighbor across the street.....the one who is a gardener in the true sense of the word, and you can probably tell just which house is hers......sent me an email this morning. By the way, I think emailing your neighbors is similar to the good old days when neighbors used to talk across the back fence. It's the new modern version of neighborliness. Anyway, she wanted to report her excitement at seeing a bluebird in her yard. Just last weekend she and her hubby erected a bluebird house. Apparently, bluebirds like to nest in certain kinds of places, and a special house is their favorite. It's placed on a pole about 4 feet off the ground, and once a bluebird couple moves in and the female lays eggs, you can actually go out there and take a peek. They don't seem to mind.
I emailed back to tell her how excited I was too, and ask her to please keep me posted. I also mentioned that we were just having the usual birds around our house, but that two wild turkeys walked through our front yard yesterday morning headed for her place. To which she replied that yes, she had seen them, and one of the neighborhood dogs chased them up a tree.
I'm sure life can't get any more interesting than this. Well, I guess the buzzard couple could come back for a visit......


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I can tell which neighbor has the "green thumb", but that's a result, I'm sure, of all kinds of noxious chemicals, so don't feel too bad! I like your flowers better, anyway.

Anonymous said...

You inspired me to email Judy and she emailed back. Even tho we live right across the street and due to Mr. H's hospital visit, there was no time to speak with her on her week off. The weather here is sunny but cool!

With all the water you've had I'm surprised that all those yards aren't as green as Mrs. Gardener's lawn. They would be around here but no crocus' here--the first sign of Spring there.
Oh happy day!

I hope you aren't underwater today!