March 08, 2006

Sewing in the Great Outdoors



As I was walking through the botanical gardens the other day, I couldn't help but think how pleasant it would be to find a nice quiet bench among the foliage where I could sit and knit or embroider for an hour or two, and listen to the birds. Then I happened upon this image in the cactus garden.

I'm starting to get organized for the trip home on Saturday. It's kind of ironic that the weather here in So. Calif. has turned colder, and the temperatures in New England are rising. By the time we arrive home, it will be warmer there than here. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to make it up a snow-free driveway. There's nothing worse than getting home from a long flight and having to trudge through snow dragging suitcases.

One job I really dislike is having to gear up for a trip to the grocery store, since I usually make sure the cupboards are bare before we leave. This time I have a plan. I'm going to make my grocery list before I leave, and before jet lag sets in. The shopping is the easy part. It's the meal planning that's hard. I've tried to delegate that job, but so far no takers.

The Minuteman embroidery is coming along nicely. And I'm about finished with another knitted scarf. It's the same pattern as the red one I did earlier, only this one is dark blue. I'm wondering if they would look good worn together....or whether it would just be too much fiber around the neck. I'll take a picture of the scarves after I get home. I have an idea about a whimsical way to display them.

I have had suggestions for a couple of new dolls. One is for the sheep doll, which I've already mentioned. The other is for a pilgrim pair. I have some ideas, and I'm anxious to get some patterns drawn and put scissors to fabric. I've often thought it would be fun to make a calendar with pictures of my bean bag dolls. I think I have one for just about every month, and the pilgrims would do nicely for November. Hmmmmm......can mugs and t-shirts and mouse pads be far behind?

No comments: