March 12, 2006

Gone to the Dogs

Here's a picture of the red scarf I knitted during the Olympics. It doesn't show up very well against the brown closet door, but a white wall (plentiful in our house) would have made the dog disappear.....and you have to admit, he is kinda cute. He was a Christmas gift several years ago from one of hubby's business associates. He's actually a plant stand--there's a shelf in his back. But he came loaded with something much better than greenery.....chocolates!

So we flew home from California yesterday, and as soon as we got to the airport to check in for our flight, I had regrets about having packed the scarf in my suitcase. It was cold. But as soon as we landed in New York, all was well because the northeast was having record warmth. I'll keep it handy though. It should be more seasonal as the week progresses.

When I go to the west coast, I always fly JetBlue. I'm a frequent flyer now. I've made about a dozen round trips in the last 3-1/2 years, ever since I called my dad (my weekly ritual) and he told me he'd have to call me back...he was on the floor. He had been falling occasionally, but had always been able to get up, or someone was handy to help him. I knew it was just a matter of time until he'd no longer be able to live alone.

I made a hasty trip west and found an assisted living facility (being a native Californian, he wouldn't hear of coming east to the cold.) He lived there for 2-1/2 years, until I called to say hello and found him slurring his words. I flew out again, and visited him in the hospital where he was being treated for a mini-stroke, and arranged for a nursing home. He's now in nursing home #2 (the first one wasn't so nice) where he is getting excellent care, but he doesn't like it. This comes as no surprise. He's always been very independent and insistent about doing things his way. Now he can't do anything for himself except read his mail and lift a fork with his left hand. He can't hear very well, and his speech is difficult. But over the months, I've been able to see him fairly regularly and tell him I love him, and do what I can to brighten the final part of his journey.

He has told me many times that he has no regrets, and that he's had a good life. He's traveled to all 7 continents and has been around the world. He's flown on the Concorde, and sailed on the QE2, and racked up countless cruise miles. He even drove an old VW bug from Los Angeles to Cabo San Lucas on the tip of Baja...and stayed in the best hotel there (back when there were only two or three). When he was 80, he gave himself a big birthday bash on the old Queen Mary. And the following year, he took me along with him on a trip to Antarctica.

I have to say, I've learned a lot from dear old dad. When my life is over, I want my kids to find chilled wine in my fridge, a current passport in the drawer, and lots of chocolate wrappers in my garbage can....and maybe a couple of empty ice cream cartons in there too.....

No comments: