March 30, 2006

No assembly required



........and here's what a sheep looks like all assembled. I decided to put a little kerchief on him, and I left it loose--sometimes I glue or stitch them in place. This way, if he decides to knit himself a bright-colored scarf, he can wear that instead. Sheep should be allowed to make a fashion statement if they want to. And I'm sure it will be out of that 100% wool stuff, or alpaca or silk or something. Nothing acrylic......yuck!

This guy....who for some reason I want to call Sheila....let's make that Sheldon, has a ladybug embroidered on his pant leg. That's because he's already been out in the grass doing a little grazin'. His head is made out of dark brown flannel, and his ears, arms and legs are made from a dark brown cotton print. I painted his eyes on, and embroidered his nose and mouth. He's got quite a head of hair, and wasn't that fun sewin' it all on! Even though I had Santa-beard plans for it, I have to say it makes a nice sheep. Back to its roots so to speak...heh..heh.....

Before I take on the pilgrim project, I'll be making a graduate doll in honor of daughter's college graduation. I'm not sure what color her gown will be, but it should be fairly easy to find out. I'm guessing dark red.....maybe a burgundy. I'll make the jumpsuit out of that, and the mortar board hat too. I'll put some nice black shoes on her, even though I think lots of graduates wear flip-flops now. And iPods. And cell phones. And who knows what else.....I hate to think.

So, I called my dad at the nursing home yesterday, to wish him a happy 86th birthday. I usually don't call much anymore because his hearing has gotten very bad, and he won't "hear" of a hearing aid. It's so hard to raise parents! But it was his birthday, and an email (my usual) seemed rather impersonal. Right away I started talking in my usual screaming voice.....and the nurse came on and nicely suggested that I talk more quietly because there was an echo on their remote phone. And don't you know, he could hear me just fine. He was delighted, and so was I. Sometimes the best gifts are the simplest ones.......and they don't require 9v batteries!

1 comment:

kathy b said...

Marcia

THe sheep is too cute! I love to see your creations. THey are so fun.