March 05, 2006

Oh those Minutemen!



Here is a scan of my current embroidery project in process. It's a Minuteman, the mascot for the University of Massachusetts--from which my daughter is about to graduate. When the stitching is complete, I'll make it into a round patch and applique it onto our family Christmas tree skirt. You can check out some of the other patches in my early January posts. I'm just noticing that this guy is a little off-center. Some people....especially those who attend the University of Connecticut....would say this is to be expected. I think he's just got an attitude--maybe following a certain big basketball upset.

I remember very clearly when Big City Girl went away to college almost four years ago. Actually, I remember her last semester of high school when each of her friends made a trip to their prospective college to purchase a sweatshirt....which they then wore to school every day until they graduated. It was kind of like when they used to go to the mall on Friday night and would have to carry (and jingle) their car keys to show off that they'd just gotten their drivers' licenses.

Freshman move-in day at the dorm is also very vivid in my mind. I saved the parking permit we got that day, limiting us to just 20 minutes. Most of that time was spent waiting for the elevators. Neither of us shed any tears that day as her dad and I headed for home. She was ready to be on her own, and we were ready to have a good nights' sleep. There's a certain calm that comes when your child is arriving home in the wee hours somewhere else.

Now she's about to graduate, having completed both a major and a minor. She knows about organizing and deadlines and computer glitches. She is competent to navigate the adminstrative bureaucracy. She can prod a landlord into action. And she knows a thing or two about delegating. Like when there's a spider in the bathroom. That's definitely a job for a guy.....

No comments: