March 31, 2006

Hot Pink Sneakers*



*for folks on the west coast, where I come from, this would be "tennis shoes."

I took a short road trip over to my local fabric store this morning, looking for fabric for a graduate doll I'm planning to make for Big City Girl. After checking the college's website, I determined that all of the graduates wear black. How boring....especially for a dollmaker! So I decided I would look for some black fabric with a little print. Something to make it more interesting. I also considered making it in solid black, but with bright red shoes.

Most of the time I try to go into a fabric shop with an open mind. I always have my list of things I plan to make, but I'm usually side-tracked and end up coming home with stuff for some new project. While I didn't see anything interesting for BCG's doll, I got carried away with the polka dots and the hot pink. Yesterday I was thinking it would be fun, and oh-so-whimsical, to make a graduate doll wearing sneakers....maybe the high-top variety. Then, in today's paper, there was this color ad. I think it was meant to be! Not for BCG though. It wouldn't be her style. I'm just going to make it for fun. I'm intrigued by the challenge of sneakers.

I've made graduate dolls in the past, and I find that they just about have to be custom-made. Most people want them for someone they know who is graduating, and they want the school colors. And they want the doll's hair to resemble the person's. Sometimes I even put glasses on them. But I'm thinking a whimsical graduate doll could be a one-size-fits-all kind of thing......providing that everyone concerned has a sense of humor!

I did receive some sheep-doll feedback, and it just may be that those hooves are a tad too cloven. I'll tone them down a little on my next one. Meanwhile, this one will guard my yarn stash, or go on my next craft fair table. I know there are people out there who might not mind if their sheep isn't anatomically correct and they might also be willing to overlook his bad hair day......

No comments: