June 01, 2010

Making light of it

Uncle Sam is finished and taking a short break from his post on the table in our entryway.

One of the things I like best about this doll style is that they can be posed in a variety of ways....pigeon-toed, a dainty little ankle-cross, or a more manly look with a foot over a knee. The half-pound of weighted pellets in the nether regions gives them a nice, firm base. And with a good foundation, a doll can have an attitude. Like this, for instance:

("That sty is sooo not my style!")
Or this: ("Where's that martini I ordered?")
Or this one:
("You think it's easy flying around the yard all day?")
I'm pleased with Uncle Sam's hat.
It's made from a medium-weight cotton and painted. I love the whole idea of primitive because nothing has to be precise. Like those stripes, for instance. Sometimes I achieve this primitive effect from painting in the almost-dark because I can't be bothered to get up and turn on the light. If I'm lucky, I finish before Mr. Gadget goes on his evening lamp patrol. He's ever-vigilant in his quest to light up my life.

No comments: