June 20, 2010

Pigeonholing

The other day Mr. Gadget and I were discussing our handicrafts. These would include his woodworking projects, and my dolls, clay figures, and what not. He was expressing disappointment that some of his creations seem destined for the scrap heap. I assured him that he need not be disappointed in any of his pieces and that I had an excellent system for classifying all things handmade.

If something comes out a little crude, coarse, elementary or unsophisticated, it's classified as primitive.

If it turns out lopsided, disproportional, preposterous or freakish--to the extent of appearing to levitate--it falls under the heading of whimsical.

And if neither of these two pigeon holes seem appropriate, I told Mr. Gadget not to fret. It becomes known as folk art. In a hundred years or so, it will appear on the Antiques Roadshow and be worth $$$.

No comments: