June 22, 2010

Shifty business

I finished another doll yesterday, and I guess I should put her next to the nun--in keeping with the proper pecking order here in the Treehouse. And I suppose I should keep them both close to me in hopes that some of their goodness will rub off. On second thought, maybe just the angel. Sister Mary Rebellious might have a ruler up her sleeve.
I'm pleased with the shoe decorations--a new design and a fairly simple one.
I made a small template and drew around it on the wrong side of the peach fabric. On doubled fabric and with right sides together I sewed the two layers together, clipped, turned, hand-gathered it in the middle and finally stitched a few beads on. Shoe embellishments are always a dilemma, and I'm happy to have found an easy solution.


Here's a close-up of her hand-crocheted collar. A few years ago, I got on a crochet kick and made a bunch.



It's certainly handy to have one at-the-ready.

I've shared here before that it was my Grandma Ferna who taught me how to crochet. I'm pretty sure she was the original Queen of Crochet. She never left home without her little silver crochet hook and a ball of thread tucked securely in her purse. I remember how awkward I felt in the beginning. My fingers just wouldn't cooperate and many times I was ready to give up. But she assured me I could master it if I just perservered.

The wife of my dad's cousin gave me similar advice when I got my first car.



"I'm never gonna figure out this shifting business," I said one day in her presence.

"Just keep practicing," she told me, "and pretty soon you'll feel like you're wearing it."

She was right, of course. Good thing for me it was one-size-fits-all.

No comments: