June 11, 2010

Card shark

Last night I went to a cardmaking workshop at the local library. I wasn't planning to attend until the library sent out a second notice saying there were still spaces available. It would do me good, I decided, to get out of the house for something other than grocery shopping and medical appointments.
I spent the first part of the two-hour workshop walking around aimlessly, looking at sample books and cardmaking supplies that were pleasantly displayed on long tables. Where was the teacher, I wondered, who was going to show us the ins and outs of cardmaking? Soon I figured out there wasn't one, but the children's librarian--who had cardmaking experience and, who knows, maybe even finger painting-- would be on hand to help if we had questions. I continued circling and chipmunking--and briefly considered returning home to watch a baseball game instead--and finally decided maybe I'd just dive in.

I passed on the op to make an actual greeting card and decided instead to make gift tags. I ignored the silly-edged scissors and the embossing gadgets. After all, I'm a simple-minded gal. And after all that chipmunking, I had to do something on the quick. I'm still in the process of coloring the ladybugs. They'll all be red except for that one rebel. It'll be the perfect tag for one of my friends in particular. On the inside, I'll write: "You are weird," I mean, "You are special."
In other news, I finished Lois.

Here's a close-up of her feet:

Next up on the sewing table is an angel, and then maybe a bee. I'm still feeling a little buggy.

And speaking of cards, Porch Poker Lady definitely has the better hand this year. I'm so far out of her league, I've decided not even to play. No one would ever mistake me for a card shark. I'm more of a card guppy. I hope I never end up like my late father-in-law who was such a sore loser--or so I've heard---that he'd routinely tear up his cards and stomp out the door.

No comments: