March 26, 2009

Potty break



We're taking a little vacation today from terminal shubbery issues, walls with bad complexions, and all things porcelain.....to celebrate Mr. Gadget's birthday. He'll spend some time in his basement office and I'll take care of business here in the Lighthouse, and we'll join up later for dinner at a nice restaurant here in the neighborhood for which we received a gift card from the builders of our new condo as a thank you for choosing to live here.

Mr. Gadget has told me on occasion that his family was not big on celebrating birthdays. My family was more inclined to celebrate, but honestly, I only remember one in particular. I think I was about 7 or 8. In those days, your mom made a cake and bought some party hats and a Pin-the-Tail-on-the-Donkey game. Girls wore party dresses and boys wore nice shirts and pants.

At this particular birthday party, after all the gifts were opened, my mom lit the candles on my birthday cake and carried it in to me. My friends began to sing, and apparently someone said something funny and got me to giggling. When it came time to blow out the candles, I ended up spitting on the cake. I was so mortified, I ran crying to my room and wouldn't come out.

On another subject, I'm having second thoughts about renaming the Treehouse the Lighthouse. It just doesn't feel right. Sometimes these things happen, and you just have to admit you made a mistake and acted too hastily. So it's back to the Treehouse. I had a great idea once for a children's book that took place in a treehouse. Maybe I'll revisit it. How neat would it be to write a treehouse story in a treehouse? Then again, maybe it's possible to over-treehouse....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a great birthday party story. I'm going to write mine up soon. Have a great day, Mr. and Mrs. G in the Treehouse! Happy Birthday, Mr. G. from me and Mr. H.