August 25, 2008

They've been eyeballed

Yesterday Mr. Gadget and I met up with Tech Guy and Big City Girl for lunch in TG's neighborhood.
We hadn't seen either of them since Father's Day, and I needed to give them the eyeball test. After two hours of looking at them, taking note of their body language, and checking behind their ears to make sure they're washing regularly, I was able to go home feeling confident that they are succeeding at independent living. Not only that, it's good to know they still appreciate a good plate of chocolate swimming in ice cream, especially if someone else is paying....
After lunch we had fun checking out some statues that are scattered around town (Stamford, Connecticut) on temporary display. I just love this kind of whimsy, and I can only wonder how someone convinced city hall to let this fly.

If only I'd had half a day to walk around with my camera to capture all 50.

So I've been going through my laundry basket o' scraps in the treehouse closet. Over the years I've thrown my leftovers into this basket with the idea that maybe one day I'd make a few more scrap garlands or even a quilt with teeny tiny pieces.
But a friend recently emailed to say that she and her team of quilt makers are in need of more fabric for childrens' charity quilts and it seemed like a good idea to send these scraps on to a higher purpose. Now that I'm approaching the bottom of the basket, I'm having fun harking back to some of my earlier dolls.

Two of my favorites were a snowman I made out of the eye charts for my friend, Arizona Barbara, who worked for an optometrist.....and the cow doll out of green fabric with hearts and milk cartons.

My fabric-shopping expeditions are kinda like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. I never know if it'll be a day for caramel centers or chocolate nougats......or just a day for eyeballing.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew you were up to your eyeballs into something.....

Anonymous said...

I love those statues.....but thought the cows they had a few years ago were cooler. Park City has moose. Mooses? Meese? By the way, next time you want a great little place to eat in Stamford, try Villa Italia on East Main Street.

Evelyn said...

Good to hear from you. Latte in January--you're on!