August 07, 2008

A squirrely adventure

I had a friend once whose husband used to dress up every day in a suit and tie and go to work at his high-powered job in one of those executive offices with the mahogany door like the ones I used to visit during my working days. But every now and then he'd get a hankerin' to go squirrel hunting.
This morning I woke up, had my coffee, and quickly realized I had a hankerin' to go fabric hunting. Mr. Gadget read my mind.
"Since we'll be leaving soon, do you have any fabric needs?" he asked.

"Maybe," I said. "But I threw out my 40% coupon and it's in that really stinky bag of garbage you took out this morning."

"No problem," he assured me. "We can walk out to the dumpster together and I'll point out which bag it is."

Good thing I didn't decide on a dumpster dive, because I would have had to shower for nothing.

Turned out my trip to Joann's was just target practice. After I got to the cutting table with my 3 bolts of fabric, I noticed 2 slow cutters, one of whom was on the phone with an obvious problem, and a lady ahead of me in line with at least 25 bolts in her shopping cart. So I left my fabric right there on the table and bolted for the door. But you know what they say. A bad day of hunting is better than a good day of housework......which is what I had planned for the rest of the day.

But really, there's no sense in dusting. It'll just get dusty while we're gone. No sense vacuuming either. No one will be here, so who's to know? There's not even any reason to get the mop damp. Come to think of it, I've got a hankerin' to breathe in a little salty air and feel a little sand between my toes. Maybe I'll go down to the beach where there aren't any of those take-a-number thingies. Maybe I'll get me some sushi too.......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about fabric: if it's okay with you, I've invited Karen Caron to go on the WEBS jaunt with us, whenever, and she knows a great fabric shop just up the road a piece from Mecca....I mean WEBS! Valley Fabrics is the name. I've got lists for both places....

kathy b said...

Oh you are too funny. Love the good day of hunting saying.