August 05, 2008

Big city biz trip

Pardon the cliche, but it seems like only yesterday that I was sending Big City Girl off to college with a few mom-words-of-wisdom about life. Now she's out in the big work-a-day world taking business trips. And good thing she thought enough of her dear ol' mom to send a text message, "I'm off the train, out of the taxi, and at my hotel." Moms never outgrow their need to worry.....

I never traveled on business when I was working, before my marriage to Mr. Gadget. Well, unless walking important documents from one building to another qualifies. I worked for the guy who negotiated our airline's fuel contracts. That was back in the day when fuel was hard to get. I'm sure he's happily retired now and relieved that he doesn't have to handle the paying-for-it part. But anyway, we had to keep the company president and his underlings informed of fuel issues and often that required me to hand-carry important stuff over to those plushly-carpeted, nicely-upholstered offices with the mahogany doors......through airplane hangars where mechanics, many hanging like monkeys from wings and struts and cargo holds, entertained themselves by making zoo-like sounds when a female in any kind of low-cut or short-skirted attire had to pass through.

Mr. Gadget, who's taken many business trips over the years, has vowed to hold off spilling the beans to BCG that eventually business trips get to be a pain in the butt. I guess it's a lot like snow.....

So the big wedding on Saturday was very nice, and my handiwork was festively displayed and much appreciated by the bridal party.

The flowers and ladybugs and dragonflies all went home with the wedding guests. Now, if I could only find a nice home for these lingering ants......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The chalkline didn't work and the stakes, either? Sorry. Many times they do work pretty good. Maybe you would have had more ants without them? Guess I'll forget writing the handy hints book......
Enjoy the change of weather and insects back in your other hometown! and have a safe trip!!!

Anonymous said...

Make a trip to your local hardware store...there are all kinds of new ant solutions out there! Or, try good old boric acid. I'm sure if you google "ant bait" you'll find the recipe that someone gave me, but that I've since lost. Sigh. It had honey and cat food and boric acid....

Holler when you get home...there are a few things to catch up on! The bugs on the tables look great, though!