May 25, 2008

Sister Mary B

I never really plan what sort of an expression my dolls will have. I just put my pen to the fabric and end up with whatever. So it was a surprise when Sister Mary Bodacious ended up with "the look." If you went to Catholic school back in the day when just about all of your teachers were nuns, then you're probably familiar with "the look." I went to public school, so I have very little nun knowledge. Mr. Gadget, on the other hand, went to Catholic school, so over the years he has told me many stories from his youth. He has no end of nunisms.

I've probably got nuns all wrong. He tells me they don't wear earrings or eye shadow, and most certainly not red shoes with fishnet stockings. And most of them don't show this much hair. I can't help but think life in the nunnery would be much more exciting if nuns were allowed to accessorize.

Mr. G did say, though, that Sister M.B. should definitely have a little ruler, so I'll be looking around for one. Maybe a red one. I asked him if he recalled the nuns of his school days ever slapping misbehaving students. He said he didn't actually witness this, but he'd heard stories. Mostly, he told me, nuns would slap their rulers on the desks to wake up little sleepy-heads, or to startle non-attentive daydreamers. And he remembers it being loud enough to wake the dead.
The red patent leather shoes are so stylish, don't you think? So much more thrilling than those big black clunky nun combat boots, I mean sensible shoes. I so admire a nun who dares to make a fashion statement. Oops! I forgot her nail polish.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, I do remember "the look", Marcia! Yessirreee. And I also remember the ruler, like Mr. G does. Exactly! Those nuns must all go to the same school where they learn to slap that ruler so! I loved you blog, today especially. What memories you stir up. . . Thank you! Molly McKean

Anonymous said...

Nuns have changed a lot....I don't know about the fishnet stockings, but I have seen a few wearing earrings with their hair showing!