May 20, 2008

Nun, interrupted

I've had to set Sister Mary aside for the moment, and she's not at all pleased.
But we have another graduate in the family, so she'll just have to understand.

Last night we went down to the city to join family members for a celebratory dinner at this very nice restaurant. My nephew is getting his Master's degree in theater arts later this week. His folks flew in, Mr. Gadget and I drove down, Tech Guy trained in, and Big City Girl hopped on the subway for the short two-stop trip. How nice that we didn't have to go all the way to Kansas.....
Not only were we celebrating nephew's graduation from the theater program, we were also toasting his good fortune in attracting the attention of an agent from one of those high-fallutin' talent agencies. Maybe someday we'll be able to say, "We knew him when....."
Here are TG and BCG enjoying the evening's festivities.
I've probably mentioned before that TG and BCG haven't always gotten along. Back during their high school years and most of their college years too, they spent much of their time avoiding each other. I was always hopeful that they would eventually grow up and realize how lucky they were to have each other. In fact, I liked nothing more during those difficult years than to remind them that someday they would each be grateful to have the other one in their life.
Now they're mostly all growed up and they often seek out each other's company. Just this past weekend, TG went to visit his sister and the two of them left their video games and rent-a-movies to visit an art museum. Cordiality was all I had hoped for, but to have two culture seekers is a real bonus.....
Here is a picture of BCG's dessert. Check out that cute little chocolate cow cookie!
And if you wouldn't mind indulging me just one more bird story.....Seems my cute little wrens have been wreaking havoc in the 'hood. You can read all about it here in my neighbor's blog. I apologized all over the place for these naughty birds, and I'll admit I felt a little bit like I did when the principal called to tell me my male child had dumped the contents of a classmate's backpack all over the school bus floor in 5th grade. She ever-so-nicely assured me I shouldn't worry, because after all, birds will be birds.
So you can imagine my surprise when I glanced outside today and saw what looked like two chickadees poking their heads into the wren house and flinging twigs out the door. Somehow, I don't think they were just re-arranging the furniture.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the graduate dolls are among my favorites...especially with those sneakers! As for the siblings, my two oldest absolutely loathed each other for years. It was really great to see them having a civil conversation last summer!