May 31, 2008

Gettin' around town

A friend gave me this cute little taxi to pass along to Big City Girl. The top flips up and the inside is hollow....perfect for hiding the family jewels, or a chocolate stash.

BCG tells me taxis are an excellent way to get around in the big city.

I've always wondered why they didn't call it the Big Banana.


Or the big Head of Lettuce.


She says taxis can also serve as moving vans, if a person has a need to move mostly small stuff a mile or so down the road......which BCG had to do recently when BCBF decided they might both benefit from having some space. Maybe you recall the post wherein I discussed the possibility of relinquishing my mom license.


I can pretty well visualize this moving process. One gathers one's stuff on sidewalk #1, hails a cab, throws stuff in cab, jumps in, jumps out, pulls stuff out of cab and places it on sidewalk #2......and then pays the fare plus a nice tip. Part of this process involves engaging a watcher--a good buddy who can babysit your stuff while it sits on the sidewalk. The Seinfeld armoire episode illustrates this very well.


BCG was planning to come for a visit today, but she overslept. So she promised to come next weekend instead. It will be good for Mr. Gadget and I to see her and reassure ourselves that she's weathering this storm. I'll restock her travel tissue holder....the one with the taxi print.....and send her home with some homemade cookies.....and maybe some toilet paper. Did I ever mention that toilet paper is like gold to kids once they move out? At some point, but not right away, I'll pass along a priceless bit of mom wisdom. "Men are like busses," I'll say. "There'll be another one along in five minutes."

No comments: