May 06, 2008

Construction zone

I heard them singing before I got up this morning, and by the time I got downstairs they were already hard at work. There are two of them, and they seem to be sharing the chores. I guess they like the house, since they didn't do much scoping out of the territory before they started hauling twigs inside. It's nice to have them back, even though we will be gone during most of the construction phase. At least we'll be back in time for the family-raising part. And I do admire their skill at the kicking-kids-out-of-nest thing. Some of us humans could have used this tutorial in years gone by.

So the road trip preparations are underway. I still have a load of laundry to do. I've wrapped a few gifts to take along, using the gift-tagging method I learned from dear ol' dad. He used to cut out big block letters from construction paper--one for the first letter of each of our names--and glue them onto the packages. I'm carrying on an important family tradition.

I plan to knit on the red pest cardigan during my non-driving time. It continues to cause me pain. I noticed a flaw in the yarn right in the middle of the back, about 3/4 of the way up. I should have fixed it right away, but I chose to believe it would look fine when the piece was done. It really doesn't.....so I may do a little frogging and fix the darn thing.

Oh, and I've learned since my last post that Kansas is known more for its wheat than for its corn. What do I know. I'm city folk. I'll be sure to get a picture of it though. To a city gal, that wheat-growing thing is a tourist attraction.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure if we have any wrens in lalaland! But I think that the last "baby" in the Sunday funnies called "Baby Blues" is named Wren.
Bon Voyage, once again.

kathy b said...

I am jealous about your wrens. I did find a house sparrow egg in my yard yesterday. I just don't know where the nest is. I have some very tall evergreens that I suspect are home. have fun in KS

JUST CAROLE said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey, Marcia. I'm getting macaroni monologue withdrawal. I know you're blogless on your road trip but I miss the blog! Hope you're having fun! Cuz Molly