February 28, 2010

Knitting at sea

I mentioned in my last post that Mr. Gadget and I will be going out to sea again--a week from today as a matter of fact, and I always like to take along a knitting project. For the past week, I've been on the prowl for more of this yarn:

Notice how hard I must concentrate to avoid taking a picture of just my camera, and to make sure no turkey neck is showing?

After much phoning and emailing, I found a store with some in stock--right in my own hometown. A very pleasant saleslady even rolled my purchase into balls on one of those magic winder thingies. I may be a knitter from way back, but I've never quite mastered the entirety of the knitting terminology. Thingie works so often in a pinch, don't you agree?

So now that I'm stocked up on yarn for the cruise, I can start focusing on my packing. My major dilemma will be figuring out how to pack all the clothes I think I'll need for a 14-day cruise, while remaining within the luggage weight restrictions for the flight home. Mr. Gadget has come up with a very clever solution indeed.

He always uses the ship's gym, since he's very committed to his exercise regime. (I use that time to meditate out on the deck, in the sun, with a nice cup of hot coffee.) Mr. G is not one to wear the latest in designer exercise togs. Instead, he plans to take his old, tattered workout clothes which he will deposit in the trash can on the last day of the cruise. He'll do the same, he says, with an old pair of shoes and socks. And now he's even thinking of dumping an old toothbrush, and a can of shaving cream with just enough for two week's worth of shaves.

Hearing his plan got me to thinking. Maybe I'll pack my favorite short-sleeved t-shirt--the one I stupidly wore to clean the bathroom and spilled bleach down the front of. With a pretty scarf strategically placed, maybe I can get by till we disembark. I could even take my little white crocheted purse--the one with the cafe latte stain on one side. Who would notice if I pinned a crocheted yarn flower on it? And maybe, rather than packing my black and white sparkly dress for formal night, I'll look for something stylish in a red crepe paper...

2 comments:

Arnette said...

Where are you two off to this time?

Kathy W said...

Clever travel ideas there! Thanks!