February 20, 2010

Quilt show

I'm not much of a quilter myself, but I do enjoy going to a good quilt show, and there just happens to be one right here in my neighborhood this weekend. This cat quilt was one of my favorites. I found it very amusing. The eyes are buttons and the whiskers are rick rack.
If I was a quilter, I'd use bright colors like this. And if I had no worries about what my neighbors would think, I'd live in an orange house with purple shutters and a polka-dotted front door.

I'm sure the quilter who made this one had fun looking for turtle-shell fabric. She probably has a good turtle story too. Kind of reminds me of Tech Guy's car trip around the U.S. with his pet turtle. I've always wondered if his iguana was jealous.

This is one of 12 squares that make up the quilt. It's a crazy quilt with appliques. The tree blossoms were made with ribbon embroidery. It was assembled and stitched by the ladies who run Piecemakers--the store I visited a few weeks ago in Orange County. It was photographed for their 2002 calendar.
I love the colors in this one. You're probably wondering if these quilts inspired me to take up the craft. They did not. I'm more of a small-craft gal. I like something I can work on in my lap and throw in a little tote bag and take along with me. I'd love to own lots of wonderful quilts, but I don't think that's gonna happen. I'm quite content, however, to wile away my hours in the Treehouse with the silly characters who live there. We don't always get along, but at least we speak the same language...

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Those quilts are awesome! You would be great at quilting, I'm sure!