February 09, 2009

Traveling hearts

I've been making more hearts. And with no handy place to hang them, I'm using dear ol' dad's world map that's mounted above my computer. He put pins in all of his travel destinations and I just haven't had the heart to take it down. Buenos Aires is a city we visited together, enroute to our fabulous Antarctic adventure in 2001.

I've decided to send my little felt hearts out into the world. I think they'll make nice Valentines for some of the special people in my life. So much more heartfelt than Hallmark, don't you think?

I've also been busy with a new clay-on-cloth project. I was anxious to try the technique on one of my beanbag doll characters. My intention was to make a scary witch face, and I was sure that would be easy....what with my elementary sculpting skills and all.
But I think she's looking rather serene. Sculpting a face in clay is similar to sculpting one in cloth. You never know what you're gonna get. Here's her profile. It's slightly more scary.

She could probably use a good pair of tweezers, and maybe one of those skin peels. Then again, maybe I'll just give her a couple of warts or a spider on her chin. I won't be assembling her until I return to the Lighthouse, so there's still time for some cosmetic surgery.
I finally got an email back from Tech Guy. I'd written a few days ago to ask how things were going and if he was well supplied with toilet paper. No....just kidding about that last part. He tells me his sister is planning some real fun for his birthday next week. He's going pistol-shooting. My son the gunslinger. What a comforting thought.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

TG will be fine....I assume he's getting a lesson? I have two pistols now and thanks for reminding me I need to get to the range for some practice!

Anonymous said...

I like cards better because I'm not crafty. Tee hee. Actually I like Dollar Store cards(only 50 cent a card)! I bought Valentines for all family members including my brother with whom I haven't spoken for at least one year...a real spending spree! Even bought Mom one half pound of See's chocolate...a real luxury! And OTG and I delivered these goods to her today! Gasoline is cheaper these days and unfortunately for the rest of the people in this state the traffic was very light! YTG got a two birds with one stone card and a two birds with one stone check. He was born Valentine's Day 26 years ago.