February 04, 2009

I heart hearts

I made some more cloth napkins for our cloth-napkin-loving relatives. I didn't really have plans to do this, but I liked the Valentine fabric.

I mailed them a few days ago, and I'm hoping they'll arrive in good order......unlike the coat I repaired, had cleaned, and mailed to Big City Girl that never reached her. To whoever is wearing her favorite coat.....may you fall through a subway grate. Just kidding...heh...heh....

So I decided to try my new clay-on-cloth skills on one of my bean-bag dolls. I cut out, stitched and stuffed the head, and applied a coat of gesso to the face area.

After it dried, I added clay features with a witch in mind.


I think the eyes are looking a little better on this one, but it really doesn't matter all that much because, after all, it's a witch. The scarier the better. That nose, though, makes me think I might be able to add some cleavage next time....

Here's an update on Dolly and the bugs. Seems I had the story wrong. It was the termite guy who had stopped by to give us a booster shot. It was a year ago that our building was tented. The visit yesterday was intended to send a message to any termites that might have notions of returning. I still don't know what all the racket was, and I have no plans to walk over and ask Dolly. She'll just nag me again about joining her for water aerobics, and I'll have to think up excuse #2187.

Sometimes I do make erroneous assumptions though. Once, back at the Connecticut house, we had a rash of late-night mailbox bashings on our street. One night, after we assumed the bashers had moved on to another neighborhood, I was awakened by what sounded like more hooligans. I called the police. Our neighbor, who also heard the commotion, came out with his shotgun. Turned out it was some poor guy whose muffler had come loose right in front of our mailbox. That's when I came up with my own version of the duck story. If it walks and talks like a duck, it's not always.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm about ready to use a shotgun to reason with the guy who plows for the neighbor across the street...he keeps pushing the snow out of their driveway and across the street onto my property! Blocking the mailbox.

I love that fabric! Do you serge the edges or hem?