November 12, 2008

The two number fours

Here's something I won't miss after we move.
Our's is one of two houses on our street with this address. I will now briefly explain how this came about, and the reason for the peeling paint. After construction was started on this street long ago, the builders decided to number the lots. Since ours is the fourth lot, we became #4. But this wasn't the city's plan, and apparently there were no telephones back then so people could discuss such things.

In recent years, as people have sold their homes, the new owners have been required to take the official address. For a long time, there were two number twos. But one of those twos was sold and then it became a number four.

Since the mailman is coming down the street when he gets to our house, we usually end up with some of the other number four's mail. And since the package delivery people come up the street, the other number four usually gets our packages. I will not miss this situation, and I do plan to order lots of stuff on line--to make up for my years of reluctance to do so here. You know, like if I wanted a little something from Victoria's Secret....

So now, with all this free-stuff give-away we're doing, I've resorted to this:
Which is why the paint is peeling. But it works like a charm. Today someone is coming to pick up Mr. G's old golf clubs. I tried to get Pierre to do this chore for me. After all, it's getting nippy out now, and since he put dinner in the crock pot, he's pretty much got the day off. But he refused, saying it wasn't his job. I insisted he come along with me anyway.
I noticed a nice comment on the blog yesterday from Tech Guy.....a complimentary one that did not require deletion...heh...heh.... He suggested I mention a little something about Pierre. He is one of my creations and was a gift to TG, who had recently taken a cooking class. I found the pattern in a magazine--something rare these days. Now you'd have to pay extra for a pattern like this. I had been thinking about making a chef of my own to decorate the new kitchen. But TG said I could have Pierre, since his kitchen is small and what he mostly makes for dinner these days are trips to the corner deli.

Here are a couple more of my creations, circa 1950's.
These were gifts for my folks. A ceramic ashtray I made in school, and a plaster-of-paris dog I made in Brownies. BCG says it's a pit bull. In hindsight, maybe I wasn't such a loving daughter after all.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Foretelling of Palin and back in the 50's no less! A pit bull with lipstick on.....hee, hee!

That rigarmorole (spelling?)with the mailbox, certainly means you are a patient person and must have been a patient daughter, too!

kathy b said...

Pierre is adorable! You make me laugh!