November 23, 2008

More decorating

It seems Mother Nature doesn't just do winter window decorating.
She's also quite talented at carving Halloween jack-o-lanterns. When I got up this morning, Mr. Gadget, who had already fetched the newspaper and made me a nice cup of coffee, broke the news. We're pretty sure it was racoons because just a couple of nights ago we heard what sounded like someone rattling our front door.

We rarely have racoon visits, but several summers ago we happened to turn on our back deck light to find one lounging around on our chaise. In fact, he was stretched out in much the same pose as Mr. Gadget on a sunny Saturday afternoon. Of course, he wasn't holding a glass of wine, nor was he perusing a gadget magazine. We offered him an apple so he'd stay around long enough for me to take pictures. Which he did. But that was before I had my digital camera. I took a whole gaggle of cute racoon pictures, only to discover later than my camera was without film.

Here is a picture of the treehouse in its present condition. I've done some organizing and de-cluttering, but I know it doesn't look like it.
Exposed table surfaces are an indication that I've done some cleaning, and that has always been pretty much the case all over our house. I like to have my stuff handy at all times. Right now there is one knitted sock on the table next to my chair in the family room just waiting for me to do that picky little kitchener stitch to finish it off. Those of you who don't knit are probably wondering why a stitch used to close up a sock's toe would be named something that related more to the cooking world. I have no idea.

Maybe it's because the first woman sock knitter had to do just what I do. Tell the hubby to shut up for a few minutes so we can concentrate. And that's a perfect time for him to go into the kitchen to grab himself a snack and a beer....if he knows what's good for him.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Squirrels will do quite a job on pumpkins, too...ask me how I know! Our two pumpkins this year were grown in the garden, so they stayed inside on the fireplace hearth, away from the marauders! I cooked one (pumpkin) yesterday, in fact!

kathy b said...

How did they get from my house to yours so quickly?

I dont mind them eating them up now. I often find a seed starting to grow in the lawn when summer arrives.