May 12, 2007

Tea party

I know it doesn't look like a tea party. It's just that I couldn't figure out what else to call it. The weather was so nice today, I decided to tea-dye some muslin out on the back deck. Well, it's really not tea. It's Rit fabric dye. And it's a lot easier to throw a package of tan Rit dye in a big bucket with hot water than a million tea bags.

I usually dye about 3 yards of fabric at a time, and I use one of my big plastic crates...the same ones I use to schlep all of my dolls to a craft fair. They rinse out nicely without staining. It only takes a few minutes to get a nice mellow color.
Here's the before and after. The dyed muslin works well for making dolls with a primitive look. I'm really burned out on dollmaking at the moment, but after I've returned from my next trip west I may try my hand at designing a larger witch doll. I made one a couple of years ago using a purchased pattern....well, it wasn't a witch til I tweaked it a bit. You might remember Wanda. She sold on eBay after a small bidding frenzy. I love a good frenzy, not to mention....a good pumpkin pie!

So Big City Girl and BCBF are winging their way to Maui as I type. They've rented a cute little Hawaiian cottage for a week in an area that's out of the way of all the touristy stuff. They will be meeting up with her college roommate who now lives in Maui and will in all likelihood be trying to encourage BCG to move there herself. Those warm trade winds and the leisurely pace will certainly make that tempting. But I'm pretty sure she'll be anxious to get back to the noise and traffic and crowded subways, and the occasional blizzards.....

I've been doing a little organizing in the treehouse today. I know there are knitters who keep their patterns in a notebook, with all the pertinent info on what yarn they used, needle sizes, and any special notes about the process. I'd like to be one of those people. I borrowed Mr. G's three-hole punch....such a handy gadget for organizing one's life.....and got busy. After I get the knitting patterns in order, I might just start on my recipes. And then maybe all those crafty ideas I've cut out of magazines. I'd better work quickly though. I wouldn't want the gadget police on my tail.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The word of the day is "sheet protectors"! Well, that's two words, but you know what I mean! Slip the pattern in the S/P and no holes to punch. I use it for commercial patterns, those clipped from magazines, stuff printed from the internet. I now have at least three books: one for adults, one for kids, one for socks, shawls, hats, miscellaneous. I have some "organization" within the binders, too. The best, though, was the woman at the CTSW several weeks ago who has all her yarns, fibers, needles, patterns, etc, on a computer spreadsheet. Yeah, That's not going to happen here.