May 30, 2007

Groovin'

I haven't figured out what he's listening to. I asked Tech Guy what he thought and he said it must be Yellow Submarine. I harvested this big and portly guy off the tree behind the condo. Usually our visits are slightly off-season for taking advantage of the fruit growing in the yard. I'm sure these figs.....one of Dear Ol' Dad's favorites.....will be just about perfect soon after we leave.
And speaking of DOD, I'm now in the process of planning a memorial celebration to be held in the early fall. While trying to come up with ideas, I remembered a collection of old 78 records he had stashed in the back closet, and thought it might be fun to select a few for playing on that day. Mr. G., who must have some psychic abilities although he would never fess up to it, recently purchased a new gadget that transfers records to CD's. How convenient.

While I was rummaging through the old records, I found this.
It's a children's book that belonged to my mother. It was published in 1918. Look what's inside:
Little records to go along with the story. I had no idea there were records back in that day, but Mr. G. says there were. Just for kicks I checked on eBay to see if anyone was selling one of these books, and I found one with a starting bid of $54.00. I would never think of parting with it though.
Further rummaging produced this:

My folks apparently made a record of me speaking nonsense when I was about 2-1/2. There are a few people in my life now who I'm sure, on occasion, don't think I've progressed very far......

No comments: