May 14, 2007

Mother's Day....the review

I received this card in the mail today from Big City Girl. It was a day late, but that wasn't any big deal. She told me it was coming and I know she was busy getting the bunny cage cleaned and all the laundry done and the garbage carted out to the curb (3 floors down) in preparation for her big trip to Maui. Besides, I hear that BCBF's mom got hers late too. The best part is it's handmade....which, in my book, beats out the Hallmark variety 50 million to one.

Tech Guy gave me a bouquet of flowers and a very nice card...not handmade but containing a special handwritten message. He and Mr. Gadget took me out to the local diner for dinner, at my request. They would have gladly taken me to a fancier place, but I do enjoy the diner on occasion. It's close by, the menu is varied, and one can maintain some sort of reasonableness with one's portions. We ate most efficiently and returned home so I could resume my knitting.
So today I returned some library books and then swung by the fabric store, since it's right on the way home. Well sort of. I was thinking I might make myself a new tote bag. I've made several, including one when the kids were little on which I embroidered a mother duck and her ducklings and this saying: "God, grant me the patience to endure my blessings." I'm a big fan of Laurel Burch and own several things with her designs....mostly earrings.

And since I'm on the subject of cats, I thought I'd post a photo of this one. It was made many years ago by my sister out of paper mache.

You can see he's been in a cat fight or two. I don't think the local vet would be receptive to tending his wounds, so I'll try to patch him up myself one of these days. I should have taken a picture of his underside. She assembled him out of styrofoam packing pieces and then just sculpted away what wasn't a cat. I'm always amazed at how artists can do that. How do they know? In addition to fixing his tattered ears, I'll clean him up and maybe touch up the paint. I plan to keep him forever......along with my new stamps.

No comments: