May 05, 2012

Love those left-overs!

Today I decided to do the final machine quilting on my food quilt.  Some projects go quickly; others take half a lifetime.
While I was stitching it dawned on me that the excess batting (I'll be trimming this off) will work well for adding bulk to my librarian.  I'm happy when I have supplies handy and don't have to go scrounging through my craft closet. It's like that happy feeling I get when I remember there are leftovers in the fridge and I don't have to cook dinner.

This quilt is very, very far from perfect.  In fact, it's far-removed from a good job even.  But somewhere I read recently that a quilter should not be too critical of her first quilt.  It's more important to just get it done and move on.  I like that philosophy.  I'm also glad it's a busy quilt so the mistakes, hopefully, won't be too obvious.  It did have several things to teach me--most importantly that measurements must be precise when cutting and lining up the squares for sewing.  This will go a long way towards helping me create my next quilt without warts.

So I'm looking forward to the coming week because one of my Cali-cousins is coming for a visit.  She and I spent lots of time together growing up, but as adults we've only been able to grab a quick get-together every few years.  We share lots of memories and I'm sure there will be plenty of harking back.  Several months ago, Mr. Gadget's older brother came for a weekend and the two guys got to reminiscing (there may have been some wine involved) and telling stories about their elder family members.  From the sounds of it, there was quite a plethora of peculiar people. Oh, the dolls I could make!  But I was sorry afterwards that I hadn't turned on my tape recorder and preserved it for posterity.  Maybe I'll do that while my cuz is here.  We've got plenty of quirky family characters of our own.  In fact, I'd better buy a few extra blank tapes.

1 comment:

Kathy W said...

My cuz's just visited. Have a great time with your cuz!!!