May 16, 2012

It's a wrap


It's been a busy week with the Calicuz's visit, followed by the arrival of Big City Girl for the Mother's Day weekend.  But I did manage to squeeze in some time for crafty stuff.  I got a start on the new librarian project.

Oh, what to name a librarian!  Such a dilemma.  I think she'll be Thelma.  But I'll have to wait till she's finished to see if that's my final answer.  Not just anyone can be a Thelma.


I started out by putting together a wire armature....just like with Vinny.  I never have to be too careful with this part because the mummification always covers it up nicely.  Then I started the wrapping process.  You may remember I had some batting left over from the food quilt.  I asked BCG for her opinion and she thought Thel needed a lower bosom.  I'll be working on that.  I'll also give her slightly more ample hips.  I left the arm and leg wires long on purpose.  They'll be easy to snip off when I get a better sense of proportion.

I've been thinking about how I will dress her.  Maybe a tailored blouse and a simple skirt--both in muted colors.  I realized, too, that sometimes libraries can be drafty places, so she should have a sweater. I'll knit her a cardigan and hope she'll turn out to be about the same size as an 18-inch doll.  I'll tuck a little hanky in the cuff.  I've noticed it's a popular accessory among elder ladies.

And dare I say I can now see the finish line on the food quilt?  I have just a few more basting threads to remove.  I did a nice job on the binding--considering I didn't know what I was doing-- and that should make up for all the warts I left in it as design elements.








1 comment:

Kathy W said...

I like those style ideas on Thelma... a very sensible librarian!