May 27, 2012

Cooking up stuff

The fabric I ordered arrived yesterday and now I'm anxious to get started on the quilt for my niece.
I will proceed more smartly (smartlier?) with my second quilt--rather than just jumping right in and doing a big ol' belly flop like I did with my first.  First of all, I will pre-wash the fabric so that my niece can wash it when she so chooses.  This is presuming that she will be better about taking care of her handmade gifts than Big City Girl--who just adds them to her dustmop collection.  (Oh, I hope BCG isn't reading this.  Hopefully she's too busy.  But if she is.....of course Mom's just kidding... in the interest of adding a little humor to the blog).

Thelma the librarian is still on the tweaking table.  I could clearly see that she didn't have quite the right body language.  She was leaning back too far, and this gave her the appearance of a laid-back librarian--definitely not "the look" I'm aiming for.  So I gave her a little more bottom padding so she'll be leaning slightly forward and getting right in the face of those naughty reading-room talkers.

And while I was plumping up Thel, I had an idea for a couple of characters I could make out of two empty Jack Daniel's bottles Mr. Gadget so kindly passed on to me.  Then I thought of a third character who would nicely complement the the first two, so I asked Mr. G. if he would mind drinking another bottle and he said he'd see what he could do.

And while I wait patiently for those cat-book authors to work on their pattern for my personal chef, I cooked up a couple of things yesterday.  The first was roasted red peppers--one of Mr. Gadget's favorites.
The second was apples with cinnamon and raisins in the little crockette.  It's delish over vanilla ice cream--and a very easy dessert I might add.  This, too, is a Mr. G. favorite.
"Why are you being so nice to me?" he asked.

"I'm always nice to you, aren't I? I replied. "Besides, it's the least I can do to let you know how much I appreciate you drinking all that liquor to keep me  well stocked with dollmaking supplies."

1 comment:

Marcia said...

I've taken many quilting classes and have dozens of books if you want some hints. Not necessary to prewash fabrics and is actually easier to handle pieces with sizing in them. However, if you wash some, it's best to wash all. I never prewash when using top quality quilting fabrics...too lazy. Next time you are down my way, come look thru my books and borrow any you like! I'll be home early Wed but probably not fit for company till I get some sleep!