April 23, 2011

Entertaining my inner child



So yesterday I was at the grocery store and, on a whim, I purchased this...plus an extra dozen eggs. We don't celebrate Easter in a big way at our house, but I do have fond childhood memories of dyeing eggs and hiding my basket for the Easter Bunny to find and fill with goodies. Those dyed eggs would always find their way into my basket. My mother assured me that the Bunny always knew to look in the fridge....just like she assured me that Santa always carried a set of master keys so he could get into our house without a chimney.
For the first time ever, I consulted a cookbook to check out the directions for making hard-boiled eggs. I've always winged it, and always ended up with a few cracked ones.

This time....no cracks! But wait. What is that? How did a mango with an annoying sticker sneak in there?

Here they are....colorfully displayed in a little hand-crafted basket. This was so easy to do. I drew a bunny on paper with long arms stretched out at right angles to his body, then drew around it on fabric. Next I sewed all around and turned him right side out. Then I lightly stuffed him and drew the features on. No need to do a whole bunny....just the upper half because the bottom is hidden in the Easter grass. Finally, just glue the bunny paw around the handle.

Long ago, when Tech Guy and Big City Girl were young, I decided to do a little Easter morning magic. I worked long and hard on this project. I was sure they would be amazed. I hid a whole deck of cards around the house....with each card being in a different hiding place. Then after Easter breakfast, I told them to call out a card by number and suit and I would go find it. I proceeded to find a dozen cards or so, until they got so bored they decided to watch cartoons and eat their Easter candy. My mom magic went over like rotten eggs.

No comments: