March 13, 2011

Joyride

Mr. Gadget and I ventured out on a little road trip yesterday. It was all because of these:
Dozens of pin backs I have in my stash. They needed something to cling to, and a sense of belonging to something much bigger.
Mr. Gadget rarely has a destination in mind when he suggests taking a road trip. He usually asks me where I want to go. He's good like that. He never learns. So we headed east and then north, and after a pesky little delay because of road construction we arrived at our destination.
Mr. G planned ahead and very smartly brought a book along for his one-hour wait. That's my allotted shopping time--an amount of time arrived at after much scientific experimentation. It's just enough time for me to make my selections and not so long that he starts having heart palpitations. He always tells me not to hurry, to take all the time I need.....but I know better.
I purchased some wool in a nice array of colors for my ongoing flower-felting project. Felted flowers and gold pin backs complement each other nicely. I wound a couple of yarn skeins into balls on the trip home--a trek that took longer than usual because of the circuitous route we followed so as to avoid the pesky road construction. It was a lovely drive through some areas of our state we hadn't seen before. Even though I've lived here for well over 25 years, I continue to be intrigued and entertained by New-England quaintness--the old barns that lean, the centuries-old houses with peeling paint, the rock walls, the long-dead and obviously forgotten Christmas wreaths on doors. I never seem to get my fill of quaint. I would have taken photos, but Mr. G isn't one to stop once he's on a roll.
I'm thinking that after I get my flowers all felted, and have neatly affixed gold pins to the backs, I'll take a picture of them in front of this quaint old barn. It's within walking distance of the Concondo.
Then maybe this spring I'll set up a little farm stand and post a sign by the side of the road: Colorful felted-flowers for sale. Handmade in New England. Great for accessorizing. Quaintness guaranteed.

1 comment:

Marge Malwitz said...

Yarn balls in easter egg colors!

And where is that barn that you can walk to?