August 27, 2010

What I missed

What we don't have at the Calcondo are comfort toilets. It was very comforting to return to the Concondo and get reacquainted.

Tomorrow, bright and early, Mr. Gadget and I will drive to Brooklyn to help Big City Girl set up her new apartment. I know for a fact that the new place doesn't have comfort toilets, so I'd better be sure I go before I leave.

Back in July, soon after we arrived at the Calcondo, BCG called to say her landlady had phoned with news that she planned to sell the apartment (in Manhattan) and asked if BCG could please find a new place to live before the end of the month. After a few tears, she sprung into action and found a place in Brooklyn. And because apartments in Brooklyn are slightly less expensive than in Manhattan, BCG now has her own place--although she tells me she really misses the aroma of curry that was a constant in the old place she shared with her Indian roommate.

Mr. Gadget has been busy all week assembling a tool kit for BCG so she'll be able to do simple repairs, electronic hook-ups and whatnot.

"Do you think she'll need a level?" he asked me.

"Are you kidding?" I snickered. "Men use levels. Women just eyeball things. If it looks level, it's level enough."

"I suppose I should nix the drill press idea," he said.

"All we women need is a hammer, a screwdriver and a roll of duct tape," I assured him. "In fact, the duct tape is usually sufficient."

So while Mr. G. has been loading up the car with tools, I've been preparing a couple of BCG's favorite food items in the kitchen. I'm taking chicken parmesan so she won't have to cook for a few days, and pumpkin muffins for breakfasts on the subway. I came close to adding a pinch of curry, but then thought better of it.

1 comment:

Kathy W said...

Nice move for BCG! YTG sleeps here overnight and works in San Juan Capistrano. So with the commute, we don't see much of him. He is looking to move out--job situation (first job using college education) is still shaky tho.

Best to BCG and her new "digs".